Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Rock Star Redux: Voting for Marty

Maybe it is the era when I was growing up (or perhaps I'm still growing up), but I am compelled to watch INXS: Rock Star each week. I'm not getting into all the behind the scenes extras, but am enjoying watch each of the performers sing, especially now that it is down to the last four. Many of the teens of the seventies were fascinated with rock music as it moved into its teens and early twenties. I know many people who dreamed of fronting a band and being a lead singer or just a member of the band. How many of us picked up a guitar and pretended to be Paul or John or Mick or John Fogerty or even Jim Croce or Harry Chapin. Okay, so maybe I was more into the singer-songwriters who could pull off sitting on the stool on stage and playing their acoustic guitar and singing songs to make the girls swoon or at least think we were semi-cool. I never really learned how to make the two work together (the guitar and singing that is), but I still listen to many of the same artists over and over again. Each generation seems to have its favorites and now some of the "old-timers" like The Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney are still making new music and still touring. That brings me to Marty Casey and the Rock Star show. I think it may be that he is a Chicagoan or that his parents live in Northwest Illinois, but he does have that rock star persona, a quality voice and great stage presence, plus he is not afraid to try new arrangements. "Trees" as a VH-1 Storytellers-style performance, as if it were already a big-seller and he is bringing it down to its roots. Great showmanship. And "Creep" blew away the rest of the songs last night. Anyways, I'm ranting late at night or early in the morning and am heading off to vote for Marty a couple of more times before bed. We'll find out tomorrow if he stays or if he goes. I'm picking the former.

No comments: