Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Rock Star: INXS AKA GO MARTY!

I have not been a fan of the reality television craze that has been going on for the past few years. I caught some of season 1 of Survivor, but lost interest by the time season 2 rolled around. Maybe it is because many in my generation aspired to one day lead a rock band, or perhaps it is because I actually listened to INXS (still have an old audio cassette of the band's), but I think that mostly it is that Marty Casey, who is from Chicago and whose parents live in nearby Lake Summerset, has captured that rock star persona so well. He has the talent, the confidence and I always feel that there is still a humbleness to him that he's thinking "Aw, shucks. I'm really still here." JD is good, but seems like he spends too much energy sucking up to the band. I think much of the voting audience is seeing through that. Mig is good, but seems like he should be fronting a band like Human League or a Queen legends band (Freddie Mercury, ala Australia). Susie is awesome, but I'm not sure that INXS songs translate as well with female vocals. She is on par with Melissa Etheridge with her voice, intensity, but less raspy. Jordis just didn't have the swagger to lead the band. "I hope so" to the question, "Do you have what it takes to be the lead singer in INXS?" wasn't committed enough. That leaves Marty and even though each of the final six (Ty left last week) have a great deal of talent, Marty seems to have that something extra to be a star. Perhaps, though, some of the blog comments are right on in that he should take his own band, The Lovehammers, out for bigger and better things. A major label must look at this guy and think, "Contract, tours, and stardom!". We'll find out in the next several weeks, though, and that is the fun of having a local connection in a fun and intriquing reality show. Rock on, Marty! and Good luck.

No comments: