Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Long Hiatus

I've been gone for a while from this site. My oldest daughter was married last month and I've been playing catch-up in the office and composing my weekly columns. Speaking of which... the column "For the Love of Community" was canceled by The Journal-Standard here in Freeport. No specific reason was given other than the typical doublespeak of "we've decided to make some changes" and my column was no longer part of that plan. It is interesting that I was able to submit a "farewell" column, but when it appeared in today's paper (and they didn't make it available online) it only vaguely resembled the column that I submitted. There was no mention of the reason why I was leaving. It was made to seem by their bastardized version of my column that I was leaving of my own accord. That was not the case by any stretch of the imagination.

My ten year-old daughter has started a petition in an attempt to have the column reinstated. She has more than 120 signatures so far. I envy her desire and determination. I think we have a budding social activist on our hands. I am proud of the way she has taken action. We'll see if the powers that be at the local paper take notice or continue to play this out as ostriches.

I will publish the original column on this site by Monday. It is currently on my office computer and I'm working from home tonight. I will also make the four "Wedding" columns available on this site.

So tonight I go to sleep with many questions about why my nine year-old column is being forced out when it was widely read and appreciated by the people of Northwest Illinois and online by many others.

No comments: