Monday, July 16, 2007

Farewell Column, but not Farewell

I would like to publish the column that appeared in The Journal-Standard in order to show the comparison of what was deleted and edited from the original "Farewell" column, but it was not made available online to our readers. If you read Saturday's paper in the Home and Garden section (please, how ironic, I can't get anything to grow) then you can see how altered it was from the original. Again, thanks to all who are signing the petition, calling or writing The Journal-Standard and are otherwise upset with the cancellation of the "For the Love of Community" column.

I Read It In the Sunday Papers

By

Roland Tolliver

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night. --Rodgers and Hammerstein

Dear Loyal Readers,

It feels a little strange (okay, very strange) writing this week’s column. Here I am, almost 50 years old, and I’ve never been fired from a job, or let go from anything before (unless you count being cut from the varsity basketball team my junior year, but then some men really can’t jump). So, it is with sadness and befuddlement that I share this “For the Love of Community” column with you today.

I realize that every journey has destinations, layovers and other stops and starts along the way. This journey began nine years ago next month when we shared a story about the Stephenson County Fair and how a young boy discovered how the Fair began. We’ve had many laughs and tears throughout these years about the fun, foibles, and events about our beloved community.

I think that of all of the comments I’ve heard over the years, it has been those that appreciate the stories of family with all the trials, tribulations, and triumphs that occur. We’ve grown together over the past nine years. I’ve listened to your stories and have taken them into my heart. The hundreds of calls, emails, letters, and face-to-face encounters have resonated with me, knowing that you’ve read my feeble attempts at conveying my thoughts about life, and that you’ve cared enough to share with me.

When my co-author, Dr. Steve Spyrison, and I started this column in 1998, little did we know where this would lead. I still miss his contributions and wish that there had been greater understanding before his dismissal. There have been more egregious omissions and commissions by others since then with lesser consequences. When we started freelance writing at the request of Jeff and Julie at The Journal-Standard, we took the “free” part too literally for the first two and one-half years. Hey, what did we know? We were both in the medical field.

The years have gone by fast as we’ve shared stories about birth, life, and death. I have been humbled when pastors told me they were using the columns in some of their sermons and one was read at the funeral of our dear Audrey. I was surprised when a column appeared in the Wall Street Journal’s online edition. That story generated emails from across the country and was published in multiple languages throughout the world. Other columns have appeared on "The Biggest Loser," Kingsford Charcoal, and various other websites. The wonders of the Internet!

Most heartwarming have been the letters from soldiers in Iraq and the comments from our local firefighters for my columns about the heroism of the men and women who perished in the tragedy of 9/11. Yes, the world has changed in the past nine years. That single day made sure our lives would never be the same.

I'd like a to take a few lines to offer my gratitude....

To the editors that I’ve worked with over the years: Thank you.

To those that I’ve shared the Pulse of the community with: Thank you.

To my office staff that put up with my other “vocation: Thank you.

To the readers that went out of their way to share their thoughts, stories and comments with me: Thank you.

To all of the men and women who serve our country and our communities: Thank you.

To all of the readers that kept up with Freeport and Northwest Illinois online through the columns: Thank you.

To my friends and fellow writers who shared your insights into this ever-evolving, dynamic field we call “writing”: Thank you.

To all of the grateful volunteer agencies, especially those that benefited from the books sold: Thank you.

To all of those that are asking me to continue writing: Thank you. (You may check out some online submissions and keep in touch at http://www.pretzelcity.blogspot.com/).

To Al Bebach: Thank you. You complete me!

And especially to my family, my lovely bride, Irena, our daughters, son and son-in-law: Thank you. You have been my inspiration and the source of many stories through the years. Thank you for being open-minded and encouraging! You don’t know how much that has meant, but I’ll keep trying to let you know.

So, as this journey called life takes a detour, we’ll plan on continuing to share our love of this community we call home. May God bless you and your families all the days of your lives.

In the Spirit of Community,

Roland Tolliver

If one door closes, don’t let it hit you on the way out. --Al Bebach

No comments: