Monday, February 18, 2008

The Will to Win

The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur. --Vince Lombardi

I’ve been a “Speech Parent” for the past three years following the growth and maturation of an outstanding group of students at Freeport High School. Yes, I’ve seen competitors from some of our other local schools excel as well, but obviously there is a connection to one’s home team. Dan Stevens has done the “objective” work of describing the meets, presenting the results, and highlighting some of our top local contestants. He has the background and isn’t “attached” to any one school per se, but tries to offer a fair and balanced presentation of the students of Northwest Illinois. As for me, I admit that I am biased in favor of my own daughter and the Freeport team, though I do find myself rooting for any of the local students to also do well. It’s kind of a parochial mentality of “us” (Northwest Illinois) versus “them” (larger suburban Chicago schools) that permeates some of that thinking. But, like I said, I am playing favorites…
I spent most of my high school years in sports competitions, usually track and cross country. Like most sports, the most baskets, the most points, the fastest times, or the most pins knocked down determine the winner. It is clear cut. There is no subjectivity left to the imagination. You run the fastest, you win. You swim the fastest, you win. You pin your opponent, you win. I competed one year in “forensics,” which is now primarily referred to as speech. I was okay. Not great. Definitely not like many of our local students from Freeport, Eastland-Pearl City, Lena-Winslow and Aquin. I’m sure I’m missing someone, but you get the point. I didn’t know enough to take it as seriously as these students do. I did know enough to know when someone was better than me. I don’t remember the young lady’s name in one competition, but I can still remember how we were both scheduled to read Edgar Allen Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart.” She read first and I wanted to crawl out a window, partially because she read so well that I was actually scared and partially because I was intimidated to the point of wanting to pretend that I wasn’t there. Actually, I wished I weren’t there at that point. Fortunately, no one read the same poem that I read for my other event and I actually placed. Way back in the stone ages there were only three or four events, unlike today where there are fourteen events. There are more choices, but also students with much more talent.
As a “speech parent” one of the most difficult aspects is dealing with the unknown. That unknown is a variable referred to as subjectivity. There is no way of predicting how a judge is going to score a student’s performance. One judge can give out a “1” which is the best score and another judge can give a “6” for the same performance. We don’t know who the winner is until the names are announced. There is no photo finish as it would be if two runners cross the finish line. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason, at least none that we mere mortals can understand. What I do know as a parent and frequent attendee of speech tournaments is that there is a group of dedicated students in our area and throughout the state who put in long hours after school and often during the summers, share their hopes and dreams of a brighter and more intelligent future, and gain a level of poise and maturity that many adults would benefit from emulating.
Congratulations to those that have “given their all” and maybe came up just a little short of a trip to the state tournament. There are many of us who have never even come close. No medal, ribbon or plaque can take away the effort, dedication and time that you have put into a season that will leave a lifelong legacy for your lives. You are an inspiration to those of us who look to you as the future leaders of our society. You are off to a great start and that cannot be measured by a stopwatch or the number of points scored. That can only be measured by the heartfelt effort that has shined brightly each week.
Good luck at State to all of our area’s speech teams’ members!

No comments: